Monday, November 14, 2011

Observation 5: (11/10/2011)

For my 5th observation, I observed a few more new species of organisms. Along with the organisms previously mentioned in my blog, I noted tons of euchlanis rotifers, three nematodes, and a mite. One distinguishing characteristic of the euchlanis rotifers was their motion. The euchlanis rotifers seemed to spiral as they propelled themselves forward. Euchlanis rotifers are known for having two feet for swimming and typically eat bacteria, small protozoans, and other debris (Davidson 2003).

As I continued to observe, I managed to find three nematodes. Each one was partially concealed by either soil or other organic matter. However, it was their quick, writhing movements that caught my eye. Each nematode would slither in and out of the matter, occasionally coming to a standstill. I was stunned to discover that nematodes are " the most numerous multicellular animals on earth". These organisms are known to feed off of fungi, other nematodes, and bacteria. (University of Nebraska-Lincoln,) This may explain why they were all positioned near organic matter, especially decaying organic matter, for this would be the most likely place for bacteria to be located.
Finally, one of my most interesting discoveries was that of a single mite. The mite was to be found in the bottom of my microaquarium in the sediment, the typical living environment of an aquatic mite (Micrographia,). The mite crawled forward very slowly before finally burrowing down into the soil. Something I noticed was that the mite seemed to have a few organisms living on its back such as rotifers, etc.

References

Davidson, M. 2003. Differential Interference Contrast Image Gallery: Euchlanis Rotifer. [Online]. Available from: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/techniques/dic/dicgallery/euchlanissmall.html
Accessed 2011 Nov. 14.

What are Nematodes? [Online]. Available from: http://nematode.unl.edu/Wormgen.htm Accessed 2011 Nov. 14.

Hydracarina. Water Mites. [Online]. Available from: http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol/chelicer/mitaqua/mita0100.htm Accessed 2011 Nov. 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment